Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Buy a book on Excel VBA or simply learn to write VB?

I consider myself an expert in excel but in order to make some things I do easier, I record macros. I am handicapped when recording because I don't fully understand VB and I have to start over whenever I make a small error. Is it better to simply learn how to write Visual Basic or should I buy a book that teach you VBA programming with excel? I am leaning towards completely learning visual basic but don't want this to be a waste of time.Buy a book on Excel VBA or simply learn to write VB?
I'd say if your serious about macros etc... and use Excel a lot then learning VB would be a worthwhile thing to do. Not only can you write things for Excel but you can write complete programs using VB. Also if you use Access quite a bit VB comes in mighty handy.

Most of the people I know who use Excel know VB inside out and end up designing programs using VB too. The added bonus means you could get a better job out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment